Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dear Dad, Happy Father's Day

Dear Dad,

I know that though we certainly don't always see eye to eye and that we've become masters at pushing each other's buttons, I appreciate everything you've done for me (and realize I don't tell you that enough). You've always tried your best and in all honesty, that's the best someone could ask for. You've always loved me and are quick to jump if someone or something is threatening your family and the people you care about.

I know that as I've grown up we've drifted apart but I will always have the wonderful memories of hanging on your legs with sis as you walked in the front door at night, of exploring mountains and lakes with you each weekend, of sitting in your lap and folding myself into you and your big grey jacket to escape the cold, of "camping" under the stars, of spending hours in the pool with you during the summers, of playing games, of you helping me with homework (you always amaze me with the expanse of your book smarts) and on stepping on your feet as you taught me to dance in the living room.

I hope with all my heart that when I start living with you again that we can step back, agree to disagree and know that often the reason we have such a difficult time getting along is because we're so similar and see so much of ourselves in each other.

I admire that as awful of a childhood that you had, that you continue to try to have a relationship with your father. It's allowed me to attempt to know the only grandfather I've ever known. I know that someday you'll be an incredible grandfather to my and sis' children.

I'm also incredibly thankful I get to spend father's day with you. I enjoyed going to the farmer's market and to the pancake breakfast watching you bob your head to the music playing. I'm glad I got the chance to spend the entire day with you as you're spending the night and didn't have to leave halfway through the day as you do most Sundays. I loved going to the movies (The Proposal) with you and having you tell me how much you loved watching sis and I laugh throughout the movie.

I love you with all my heart and am glad to call you mine.

Happy Father's Day!

Love,
K.


3 comments:

Divaeva said...

wow indeed. love the pic!

Divaeva said...

wow indeed. love the pic!

TuTu's Bliss said...

This is a great post and a sweet pic. I still haven't sent my Father's Day present in the mail. I'm a very bad daughter. Fatherhood didn't come easy to my father but he worked hard. He has grown into the most wonderful grandfather my princesses could ever ask for.